Saturday, 14 July 2012

My experiment with Social Service

When I put down my papers from a satisfying 33 years of service and having met all the family responsibilities, I had planned that I will now spent my resting years in social service. One thing was sure , I did not want to work for money. My search lasted for 5 years. During this time I was looking for the work which I enjoyed so that I can give justice to the work as well as satisfy myself.

Then I shifted to Pune. when my search was still going on I used to answer the advertisements which called for Accounts assistance. I got a job in response which lasted 24 hours. It was because one who offered me a job of Rs.20000/- wanted the return of money from day one. He wanted me to be an expert on his business from day one which to me was just impossible. In the evening he briefed me about his expectations and every thing that a business man expects from his employee. Next day I sent him a text message telling I am not interested in his job. He then pleaded that I should give it another thought and all that. But from my rich experience I was determined that I simply cannot work for money because I can not tolerate employer's money minded attitude.

I wanted to work for free and do the work of my choice and landed in North East. I made myself useful to them due to my sincerity, motivation and hard work. I did not want Honorarium too because it again meant binding and commitments. I wanted to be committed without any strings.

Today I find that the NGO I work for are very happy and satisfied with my work at the same time are respectful to me. I get enough pension to sustatin my small family back in Pune. I carry Rs.1000/- with me and return with the same amount back in Pune with great amount of satisfaction that I have done something for those who are working with a cause. Because they take care of my journey cost, my fooding and stay. And still they want me with them for a longer time.

This feeling that some one who are doing a National Cause are happy with your work and  need you more and more is something which money cannot buy.

I think those who have retired from jobs and have completed their family obligation if devote some time for the social cause without any expectation in return in the form of money will find that this work is giving them immense satisfaction which they never had during the life time.

people ask me since you are doing it for 4 years how much you get in return? I just smile and say I get which I never got during my life time.

I meet people who after retirement are dong some audit work or some part-time job to keep them busy and also to earn some extramoney, I find them not very happy and content as I feel myself.

when you work for money you make yourself available for money and then you can get some words in bad taste when your work is not upto the mark, but when you work without any expectation of money you are more free to work and then your work gets the quality.

So friends just give it a thought.

No comments: